NEET Prevention Through ASK
Extra help for Local Authorities due to Covid-19
What is ASK?
Through the Apprenticeship Support & Knowledge for Schools and Colleges programme (ASK), every establishment in England is entitled to access a bespoke programme of apprenticeship awareness activities for their students, staff and parents, working with one of the appointed ASK Delivery Partners. The programme contains two elements: face to face delivery and a wide range of resources which are available through the Amazing Apprenticeships website.
The programme is fully funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), part of the Department for Education.
Changes due to Covid-19
Since April, the ASK programme has been re-modelled to a digital offer so that schools and their students can continue to be supported. Enhancements have also been made so that more work can be undertaken to support those staff within Local Authorities (LAs) who are involved in trying to support young people and prevent them from moving into the Not in Education Employment or Training group (NEET).
What support is available to Local Authorities?
The ASK programme will now support Local Authorities in a number of ways, both by supporting staff to bring their knowledge and awareness of apprenticeships, traineeships and T Levels up to date and also in supporting activities to engage young people who may find themselves without a planned destination and looking for support and information.
The support will include:
- Supporting activities organised through the LA to engage and support young people who are at risk of / have become NEET e.g. awareness presentations, employability skills workshops, registration and application workshop.
- Supporting activities for teachers, careers advisers and parents organised through the LA.
- Staff training workshops and presentations for teams within the LAs who are supporting young people to equip them with knowledge about apprenticeships, traineeships and T Levels.
How to get started?
- Download the NEET Prevention Guide for Local Authorities.
- Complete the ‘Request Support‘ form, which will alert the ASK team that you wish to engage with this extra support.