The NHS provides healthcare services through a national network of organisations, including NHS trusts and foundation trusts (including mental health and ambulance trusts), as well as GP Practices, some charities and social enterprises.
This network of NHS employers, non-NHS employers and partner organisations offer hundreds of apprenticeship opportunities across sectors – some of them leading to direct full-time employment with the NHS, others giving learners transferable skills that can take them into other industries and careers.
Levels of apprenticeship Programme
Across the NHS apprenticeships are available at four levels, from entry level programmes to apprenticeships that allow learners to gain a full university degree.
- Intermediate apprenticeships – follow work-based learning towards level 2 – equivalent to 5 GCSEs A* – C
- Advanced apprenticeship – follow work-based learning towards level 3 – equivalent to 2 A-levels
- Higher apprenticeships – follow work-based learning towards levels 4,5,6 & 7 – equivalent to a foundation degree and above
- Degree apprenticeships – follow work-based learning towards levels 6 & 7 – equivalent to a full bachelor’s or master’s degree
types of apprenticeship programme
There are hundreds of different apprenticeships offered by organisations providing NHS healthcare and services. Examples include:
- Business administration and human resources
- Apprentice ambulance practitioner
- Clinical support
- Communications and marketing
- Maternity & paediatric support
- Electrical and engineering
- Financial services
- Health and social care
- Healthcare science (including pathology support and decontamination science)
- Pharmacy support
- Nursing degree apprenticeships
Beyond health, public services and care, apprenticeships offered by organisations providing NHS healthcare are suitable for work in other industries too, with learners going on to careers in construction, facilities, business administration, logistics and management, and many other sectors.
Visit the Health Careers Explore Roles page now to find out whether NHS apprenticeships are available in areas and roles that interest you.
Apprenticeship vacancies may also be found on the NHS Jobs website, or click ‘Vacancies’ below for an overview of exciting upcoming opportunities.
Health Education England has compiled a Youtube playlist of 60+ videos about apprenticeships in the NHS, featuring stories from real apprentices and more. View the playlist here.
NHS ApprenticeshipsNHS website
Did you know there are over 300 different jobs in healthcare, delivered by more than a million people?
Be a part of it and discover the opportunities available to you with a healthcare apprenticeship! Earn while you learn as part of a talented, passionate team providing care and treatment to patients or helping run services, and enjoy a competitive and flexible benefits package – all while gaining a nationally recognised qualification.